We share your concern about the risks posed by the Corona virus and are taking all prudent measures to ensure that our school environment remains healthy and hygienic.
Please allow us to share with you the steps that we have taken thus far:
- Maximize ventilation in classrooms and on school buses by keeping doors and windows open to the extent possible.
- Treatment of all areas with disinfectant solution, including desks, handrails, doorknobs, keyboards, bathroom fixtures, etc.
- Equipping all classrooms with anti-bacterial hand sanitizer gel and requiring students to wipe their hands as they enter the classroom. (Please note that hand sanitizer gel is not a substitute for good hand washing. We will therefore have frequent hand washing breaks for students.)
- Teachers will be reminding students to follow proper coughing and sneezing etiquette, meaning that they should only cough or sneeze into a tissue and throw it in the garbage immediately. If a tissue is not available, coughing or sneezing into the elbow is recommended.
- Teachers will remind students not to hug, kiss, or shake hands with fellow students.
- All food handlers are trained on proper food handling for this situation.
- Parents must monitor their children's temperatures at home in the morning. If your child has a temperature of 37.5°C or higher please do not send him/her to school. All staff members will also be asked to self monitor their temperature at home before leaving for work.
- Any child attending school with a fever, will be quarantined in a separate room until he/she is picked up by a parent or guardian. Children with these symptoms will not be allowed to walk through the hallways or ride the bus home and will be required to stay home for 24 hours after the symptoms disappear. Please note that students will not be allowed on campus the next day after they have been sent home. All sick students need to return to school with a note from their doctor describing the nature of their illness and its treatment.
- Bake sales and parties with pre-wrapped food only will be allowed. No sharing of food is allowed especially for elementary students.
As always, we will keep you updated and informed on all pertinent information regarding the Corona Virus situation internationally, nationally, and locally in our school. We ask that you please help us in reminding your children to eat a healthy balanced diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. Also please make sure that they get enough sleep. Remind them to wash their hands frequently, avoid excessive physical contact, and avoid crowded areas such as movie theaters.
AIS continues to plan for this situation and will keep our community informed. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to call us at the health office.
Dr. Kapono Ciotti